Sunday 20 March 2016

The Watchtower's "Memorial" - Should I Attend Out of Respect for Jesus?

I apppreciate that many of you former Jehovah's Witnesses have no interest or desire to attend any religious meetings now, after your experiences in the Watchtower cult, but try to understand that some former Witnesses have a sincere faith in Jesus' teachings. This article on attendance at the annual "Memorial celebration" of Jehovah's Witnesses, is for them.



I'm prompted to write after receiving an email from a former Witness who wrote, "The memorial is coming up and I am getting all of the invitations but I do love Jesus and the god of the Bible........... so I think that I will have to make an appearance, but in my heart I will be grateful for them on my own terms".



This person hasn't been attending for some time, but feels obliged, out of her respect for Jesus Christ, to attend a meeting at a Watchtower "Kingdom Hall". This is a dilemma faced by many former Witnesses who have "faded away" from this cult.



They were told that this meeting is the most important in the calendar. To fail to attend is disrespectful of Jesus' sacrifice on our behalf, so each year, they go along, although they have no desire to return wholeheartedly to the Jehovah's Witness religion. There is also an element of religious superstition and fear here, for some. are hedging their bets, hoping that, if Armageddon comes "soon", "Jehovah" will have noticed their allegiance to "his organisation", which sponsors this blasphemous event.



Here is part of my reply to her, which I hope will help you too, if you are inclined to attend the Watchtower's ridiculous version of communion. Did I really say "ridiculous"? Yes. And you can find out why if you look at the extract below, from my blog article on "the ransom", which is one of the subjects covered in JW.org's basic teachings book.



Extract from my reply to correspondent:
Either way, you have a desire to follow Christ as a Christian and this is making you feel a need to attend the annual observance.

However, I have to ask you; Is attendance at a Watchtower meeting the best way to respect Christ's death and resurrection? Is there anything about the so-called Memorial that inspires us to be "true" Christians?

I personally believe that the Watchtower is not a Christian religion. Everything about it is founded on false teaching and even the JW words used in common with Christians - Bible, Jehovah, resurrection, Jesus, God - have their own Watchtower meaning, often far-removed from Christian or biblical meaning. Then there are the special Watchtower words - "torture stake", "earthly/heavenly hope", "remnant" "other sheep", "anointed", which have been manufactured to fit JW teachings which contradict the Bible/NT.

So, if you want to observe the death of Jesus and share in his last supper, where and how would be the best place to do it?

I don't think a "Kingdom Hall" is the best place because it means you are buying into JW superstition and falsehood and lending support to them.

I had the same problem when I left 20 years ago. I wasn't ready for church after all the lies I'd been told about their teachings, but I wanted to observe the meal "with Jesus". So, how, if I could not go to a church communion and I definitely knew that I had no wish to associate with the false teachings of the Watchtower?

I decided to observe at home, alone, as I had no-one with whom I could observe, but I felt confident that the spirit of God would be with me. So, I bought unleavened bread (matzohs) and wine and on the evening, I read the relevant scriptures, meditated on them, prayed and also took the bread and wine, since by this time, I understood that heaven is open to all.

Later, and now, I attend church when I can and take communion with others.

So there is an option for you and if you have any JW friends nearby, you could share the experience with them. This is not about "setting up a new religion". It's about observing the Christian religion ("Where two or three are gathered together in my name")..........

=========================
Extract from my blog article on "The ransom":


As for the Memorial, commemorated every Nisan 14 (a Jewish calendar date close to the Christian Easter date) by Jehovah’s Witnesses, consider the following.


In the Christian church, people take communion (bread and wine) regularly, sometimes daily or weekly, because Jesus told us to do it often. In most denominations, all in attendance are invited to do so. This act of worship reminds us of Christ’s last meal and his death and resurrection.

The Witnesses go to great pains to get everything "just right" on the night. The Kingdom Hall is specially cleaned and usually decorated with Spring flowers. They have very special bread which is unleavened and very special wine which is pure, unfortified and red. These are passed around for everyone present, but nearly everyone passes on the plate and glass without taking the bread or wine. Why? Because the Watchtower teaches that only a very select few may partake of "the emblems".

A Christian friend once said to me, "I cannot think of a better way to tell Jesus, "You’re not good enough for me". So, what do you, the student think? Is that showing appreciation for Christ’s body and blood?

If you are determined to continue your study with Jehovah’s Witnesses, you will find out shortly that in the Watchtower religion, there is a two class system for salvation. Worldwide, there are only a few thousand Witnesses who will go to heaven, so they take the bread and wine. Therefore, it is unlikely that in your congregation, you will ever see "the emblems" being taken. Indeed, people are actually told not to do so, unless they are "absolutely certain" that they have "the heavenly calling". However, as you keep studying the Bible, not the Watchtower, you will find that this destiny is available to everyone who follows Jesus.


==========================
So, for those of you who have received an invitation from diligent Jehovah's Witnesses and your relatives, ask yourself, "Do I really want to associate with a religion which tells lies? Why did I stop attending? Why would I wnat to renew my acquaintance with these false teachers? Is it because I am succumbing to superstition and fear? Is there not another way to be a Christian and to show respect for Jesus?"


8 comments:

  1. I have recieved 2 invites to the memorial and I have never been so sure of my decision NOT to go, why ????? Because it's an insult to Jesus OK ! Anthony's blog is a correct and interesting piece of writing and will make you feel better if you are unsure of what to do about the memorial.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Antony, you mentioned that you attend church. What about the command to not use idols in worship? I know churches are into this aspect of worship.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant 'Anthony'. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't like them, don't use idols!
    Not every denomination has them, contrary to the Watchtower's propaganda. You will be surprised how many things JW leaders told us, which are untrue about churches.
    Personally, I'm quite wary of organised religion, so although I attend, it doesn't mean I believe or accept and approve everything that goes on. Belief and faith is between you and your god.
    However, I think it's necessary to participate with other Christians where possible, to gain and give encouragement. My favourite service is 25 minutes at lunch-timee which I can attend on a week day - a couple of Bible readings(!), prayer and eucharist attended by just 2 or 3 people in their break from work.
    Ray Franz made a nice point in his Crisis book - Christianity is a way of life, not a religion. We practise it by expressing love, following Christ's teachings in our daily life. Worship is what we DO and HOW we live all the time and not what we do on a Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eucharist... what is that? I don't believe that word is in scripture, is it?

      Delete
  5. Regarding JW memorial, I hope it is ok Anthony to say I would encourage to go. if you go and partake first and foremost for Christ Yeshua but also to contribute to a rise in memorial partakers. The doctrine of a literal 144,000 is false and increasing partakers will help do away with this lie. Also I believe there is two hopes, heavenly and earthly but both need to partake of the emblems to show faith in Christ and the ransoming value of his blood. Why should only anointed show they are dying sinners and have need of forgiveness of sins, this is something that applies to both groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have recently found your blog and have been profoundly moved by your (get ready for some Biblical words) "trials and tribulations". Personally, I am insulted by the very idea that only 144,000 out of the many billions (!!??) will go to Heaven. As one who has been able to silence a JW by using their facts against them in my home I would urge any ex-JW's to attend any church according to their conscience.
    If "idols" or rather, statues, are what hold an ex-JW back from entering a church, the ex-JW should remember that many many years ago most common folk couldn't read or write. What better way to bring to their mind a particular saint? When Mother Theresa was photographed in front of a statue of the Virgin Mary the caption read that she was praying TO the statue. NO! The statue was there to remind people to keep her and her life in mind.
    So fight the good fight and keep your conscience clear. God alone knows what's in your hearts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anthony, my wife and I came across your videos on YouTube and enjoy them very much. We don't live in the UK, but in Texas, USA. But your videos, I
    believe include all ex-witnesses. My wife and I have been disfellowshipped for over 25 years. It was never that difficult for us. I had been in the organization for 21 yrs and was a ministerial servant. I saw so much bias in the way certain members were treated as opposed to popular members, such as members of elders family or others that were financially well off. We had a situation with a servant who was having a sexual relationship with a girl of 13 or so, who also was a witness. When it got exposed, the elders tried to get the girl's family not to report it to the police. Supposedly, it was to protect the servant's wife, who was a pioneer. One of the elders made it plain to me, that he blamed the girl. My wife at the time was so adamant about staying in the organization, even though her circle of friends were very limited and she was treated rather shabbily by several in the congregation. So, I stayed in for her benefit. Speaking for myself, I had so many doubts about the organization and was tired of leaving my brain at the door and having others tell me how to live my life. After my wife suddenly passed away, I was mentally a wreck and a young lady at work was concerned I might foolishly take my own life, since I had had serious problems with depression just before she died. The Dr had told us bout her blood pressure problems, but I couldn't get her to take her medicene and it put so much pressure on me, as I was afraid she would die. I used to go in the bathroom and pray for Jehovah to take me. They young woman and I went to places together starting with the movies, then going out dancing, then of course one thing led to another. I know this sounds horrible on my part, but there it is. Of course, someone spotted my car at this woman's house on a number of occasions and the elders called me in to ask me if all this was true. I unashamedly admitted it was true, they tried to reason with me, but I told them I was not giving her up. (I had become emotionally dependent on her, and needed her to filled that sudden hole in my life.) They told me I would be disfellowshipped, and I told them, thank you, then went to the woman's home and celebrated.
    After some months, the affair cooled and I was on my own again. But, doing much better. I later remarried to an old friend, who was disfellowshipped, and we have been married now for 24 yrs. The problem
    we are having is with my wife's oldest daughter, who was raised in the organization by my wife and her first husband, who is deceased at this time. I have known her since she was 5 yrs old, since our families were close since we first met in 1975. The daughter never got baptized until about a year ago. Even though, she promised she would not shun us, but she no longer has anything much to do with us. We don't know how to approach her with all the info we have found about the organization. She is totally committed to the Watchtower.
    I know you are a very intelligent person and apologize for such a poorly written, unorganized comment. But, everything just started pouring out after I started writing.
    May Jehovah bless your efforts and thank you.
    Richard Morgan
    Texas, USA

    ReplyDelete